I married a man who likes savory breakfasts. For me, sweet has always been my style, whether it’s out of habit or just laziness. Does it get much easier to grab a yogurt or bowl of cereal in the morning? Taking the time to dirty up pans and cook was always my dilemma when it came to venturing into the world of savory breakfasts. However, since being married, I have seen the light.
Savory breakfasts can be just as simple and easy as my sweet breakfast staples. (And no, I’m not referring to the pre-packaged microwave breakfast sandwiches for sale in the freezer aisle. Although I have had quite a few of those, and I will say they are delicious.) Anyhow, finding stuff to make for Nathan in the morning (in a short amount of time) has allowed me to get creative and find some shortcuts.
I already posted about our bagel egg sandwiches, which only takes a couple minutes between toasting the bagel and nuking the egg. This weekend, I tried a new variation on the same idea: fried eggs on toast in under two minutes.
- Pop the bread in the toaster
- Crack an egg into a shallow round dish, then microwave for 40-50 seconds
- Place toast on plate
- Slide egg onto toast (it should come out easily – we use a glass dish that works well)
- Add whatever toppings you desire (for us, that meant shredded cheese and bacon bits)
- Re-nuke it to melt the cheese if you desire, otherwise – bon appetit!
One very small dish was the only cleanup required.
Thanks to Nathan, I’m seeing the light on savory breakfasts. Apparently I can be just as lazy and have my eggs and toast too 🙂