It was a long week for Nate and me. With a much busier work schedule for me and a hectic study schedule for him – not to mention our first window-scraping experience of the season (already!?) – by Friday morning we were due for a treat. Fortunately, I had just the recipe for something fun: cinnamon roll apple danishes.
‘Tis the season for apples, so I already had one one hand, and I made sure to pick up a can of cinnamon rolls at Krogers last weekend. The rest was simple and came together in no time!
Baking these up Thursday night was a really nice way for me to relax after a long day too. Something about the cozy, warm smells of cinnamon rolls flooding through the kitchen and the methodical (but easy) process of putting these together really helped me unwind from a long day! And the best was yet to come when we had them waiting the next morning for breakfast 🙂
- 1 package cinnamon rolls
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 apple (I used the seasonal Honeycrisp!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Peel and chop apple
- Combine apple, cinnamon, sugar and butter in microwave-safe bowl
- Microwave for 30 seconds, stir; microwave for 30 more seconds
- Flatten cinnamon rolls with cinnamon side up
- Scoop some of the apple mixture in the middle of each roll, topping with another one (cinnamon sides facing in)
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Heat cream cheese frosting and drizzle; danishes best served warm
I stored these in the refrigerator overnight and then reheated the danish for 30 seconds in the microwave. I then microwaved the frosting for 20 seconds before drizzling it over the top with a spoon. A fun variation on these might be to include some chopped pecans along with the apple mixture, which I might try next time.
Nathan’s review: He loved these, and it made me so happy to have something sweet waiting for him in the morning after a long week. He said it was “one of the best desserty breakfasts” he’s ever had, so we’ll definitely be making these again 🙂
Recipe credit: Oh Sweet Basil