As you may recall, the last breakfast of our honeymoon also happened to be the best, thanks to our discovery (and enjoyment) of “eggs in a basket”:
We made several attempts back home to recreate this dish using various doughs and egg ratios. None of them did it justice. Now, I’m not saying this recipe DOES it justice, but it definitely got the closest yet – and it was by far the easiest (and least messy) to make!
The inspiration comes from this post, which I modified according to what we had on hand. Obviously you can change it up however you see fit as well!
This is a great mix between the egg muffins I make and plain old biscuits. I like having it on hand for portable breakfasts during the week because it has both protein AND carbs. The egg muffins are great, but having some carbs to go with it never hurts, am I right? 😉
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare muffin tin for baking.
- Separate biscuit dough individually into each spot.
- Press dough in the center using your thumb, leaving thick edges but having a defined, flat bottom for each.
- Mix eggs and cheese together. (This is where you can add other toppings like bacon, peppers, seasonings, etc.)
- Spoon egg mixture into each biscuit crevice. It only takes a little – you don’t want it to seep over the sides (although it’s just as delicious if it does!)*
- Top with cheese if desired.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
*My egg mixture ended up being enough for the 10 biscuits and then 2 egg muffins with the leftover mixture. Worked out well!
These were super simple to make and turned out really well! I’m glad I found an “eggs in a basket” recipe that is reliable. Hopefully it will acquiesce our cravings until we get a chance to go back to the bed and breakfast where we had the delicious original!
What’s your ideal breakfast? Am I the only one who thinks that finding a way to include carbs in the morning meal is ALWAYS a good idea?!