I recently came up with the following dish for an easy weeknight meal. It’s super simple (duh) and makes for a comforting dinner during this cold time of year. Nathan and I both helped ourselves to seconds and agreed that this will be put in our winter dinner rotation!
The ingredients could easily be substituted for what you have on hand. When coming up with a dish, my formula is pretty basic – carb, protein, “good stuff” (sauces, veggies, cheeses, spices, etc.) It’s usually hard to go wrong that way 🙂
Chicken a la Queen
I decided to call this Chicken a la Queen because my inspiration comes from a dish Nathan got a restaurant one time – Chicken a la King. I have NO idea how closely this resembles that dish seeing as it was awhile ago so I figured I’d play it safe and go with queen instead so as not to mislead anyone 🙂
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can of vegetables
- 1 large grilled chicken breast
- 2 cups brown rice
- Bake chicken in 350 degree oven. (I did this beforehand – saves a lot of time!)
- Prepare rice (I did mine in the microwave)
- Dice chicken (I did this while the rice cooked – all about efficiency!)
- Heat and stir chicken with vegetables and soups in a large pot.
- Layer according to your preferred “good stuff”:carbs ratio 🙂
This hit the spot! We really enjoyed it and I hope you all do too.
69 cents x 2 cans of soup = $1.38
59 cents x 1 can of veggies = $0.59
1 chicken breast = $1.50
2 cups brown rice = $1.25
Total = $4.72
$4.72 divided by 4 servings = $1.18 per serving
Boom! Take that McDonald’s Dollar Menu 😉 As you can see – this meal is a great way to satisfy our tastebuds and keep our stomachs AND wallets full, which is especially helpful this time of year with all of the extra holiday expenses!