Up until now, I’ve relied on Pinterest for the most part when it comes to finding new recipes. After some less-than-stellar results (and inspiration from my sister!), I’ve decided to go back to my roots and use the Southern Living cookbook for new ideas.
For my family, this cookbook is a necessity in the kitchen. Anytime I fell in love with something my mom (or aunt, or grandma) made while I was growing up, it would be no surprise for her to say “Southern Living!” as the source. To breathe life into our meal plan, I browsed the cookbook one day and pinpointed a handful of recipes that caught my eye and looked doable. Then, I showed the list to Nathan and let him choose the first one for us to try!
The first recipe I’d marked and that he picked was Reuben casserole. Now, I’ve never had a Reuben sandwich or many of the ingredients that come with it: sauerkraut, thousand island dressing… I think I’ve had corned beef, but to be honest, I’m not even sure about that! So this was a new dish in many ways, and I loved trying something so different from what we normally have. Plus, it was easy peasy! We both agreed the hardest part was finding new-to-us ingredients in the grocery store. 😉
Adapted from Southern Living Cookbook
- 32 oz. sauerkraut, drained
- 10 oz. shredded corned beef (about 2/3 pound)
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1.5 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 2 tbsp thousand island dressing
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 can biscuits
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a 13×9 inch baking dish with sauerkraut.
- Top with tomato slices.
- Spread with dressing, then dot with butter.
- Layer corned beef and swiss cheese.
- Separate biscuits into 2 or 3 thin layers, then place on top.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes, or until biscuits are golden brown.
That’s it! Quick, easy and delicious. We both went back for seconds, and since it’s just two of us, we’ll have plenty of leftovers for later this week too. It was fun to discover I actually like Reuben flavors too…Better late than never 🙂 I’m looking forward to tackling more delicious dishes with the Southern Living cookbook this year!