Another Southern Living cookbook success! The second recipe we tried has quickly been ruled a family favorite. Chicken divan was the perfect meal for us Monday night. We both thought it was similar to chicken a la king, but BETTER. 🙂
We served the dish over rice and it was perfect that way, but we also think it would work well over mashed potatoes or bread. The ingredients end up creating somewhat of a sauce, which soaks up really nicely with some grains.
Check it out!
Adapted from the Southern Living cookbook
- 10 oz. broccoli
- 2 cups diced chicken
- 8 slices American cheese
- 12 oz. evaporated milk
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Layer broccoli in a lightly greased 13×9 inch baking dish.
- Top with chicken.
- Layer American cheese over chicken.
- Combine milk and soup, stirring well. Pour over cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and paprika. Bake an additional 5 minutes.
Does it get any better than that? Hot, bubbly cheese and amazing flavors in every bite. For my plate, I added a layer of wilted spinach and then brown rice before topping it with the chicken divan. It was chicken divine 😉 Heheh.
So far, Southern Living hasn’t steered us wrong. We’ve both enjoyed changing it up in the kitchen and we’re looking forward to taking a stab at the next recipe on our list!