For this month’s OTHER new recipe, I turned to one of my tried-and-true food bloggers for inspiration: Courtney at Sweet Tooth Sweet Life. Her recipes tend to be simple and delicious, and after having success with several others on her site, I knew this one wouldn’t let us down.
I made just a couple adjustments to the recipe, mostly in terms of how we prepped the chicken. Other than that, we followed it to a T. After one bite, Nathan said we need to add it to our rotation of regulars. I’d say that’s a winner!
We served our casserole with tortilla chips and green beans. Highly recommend the chips for crunch. By the end, we were scraping it up like dip because we’re #classy like that 🙂 Also, next time we make this we are planning to add chopped green peppers to the mix, so feel free to experiment with whatever you have on hand too if you try this! I really don’t think you can go wrong.
Easy Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 2 chicken breasts (cooked)
- 1.5 cups brown rice (cooked)
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups salsa
- .5 cup onion
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Season and bake the chicken at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, flipping halfway through. (*Leave the oven on after this step!*)
- Cook the rice according the box directions.
- Dice the chicken and onion.
- In a bowl, mix together the soup, salsa, and onions.
- In a 9×9 baking dish, layer half the rice, half the chicken, and half the soup/salsa mix. Repeat.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
My favorite part about a meal like this? Plenty of leftovers that we are more than eager to eat! Enjoy 🙂