Is “Things I’m Loving Thursday” a thing? No? Will we make it one? Maybe…
Funny story about favorite smells. When Nathan and I were first dating (we’re talking like…date #4 or 5 here…), I asked him what his favorite scent was. This was my oh-so-subtle way to find out what kind of cologne to buy him for Valentine’s Day which was coming up quickly. Of course he had no clue where this question came from or why I was asking. After major hesitation/awkward silence, Nate puzzled, “I guess banana bread?” Alas, they don’t sell banana bread scented cologne, so I never did end up getting him any and my clearly great conversation skills fell oddly flat that night.
We still laugh about this sometimes. Now that I know Nathan better, I understand that he’s all-dude who grew up with all brothers, so having a favorite “scent” was never something that crossed his mind. ME, on the other hand…I have always had a lot of favorite scents 🙂 I believe my Bath & Body Works trajectory went something like: Cucumber Melon —> Fig & Vanilla Sugar –> Japanese Cherry Blossom. #noshame #2for1forlife
I think our sense of smell is something that is seriously underrated and neglected. It can bring instant comfort/memories/pleasure and it’s so simple – we just need to slow down enough to stop and smell the roses, as they say. In that spirit, I’m sharing some of my favorite scented products today in hopes that you will find time to do a little something to bring yourself joy/simplicity too (and/or encourage my addiction and tell me YOUR favorite scents! Muahaha).
For the BODY
- Coconut Water Dial Body Wash: My latest favorite-smell find. I loved it so much, it inspired this whole post. This body wash has a really refreshing, summery scent to it that’s not overwhelming. In other words, you don’t feel like a coconut dessert when you’re done unlike other coconut-scented products I’ve tried before. This soap makes me feel extra clean after I shower which is important considering how gross the humidity/summer heat can make me feel this time of year.
- Moroccan Oil Shampoo & Conditioner: My mom gave me this brand to try last year, and I’ve been hooked ever since. I try to rotate my shampoos/conditioners, so I’m always SUPER excited when it’s time for another round of Moroccan Oil, which it currently is ❤
- Marc Jacobs Daisy Perfume: This is my long-term love. Most perfumes I outgrow/get tired of before the whole bottle is used. Daisy is one of my favorites and it has been for years. Plus, isn’t the flowery cap adorable? #thingsnathanwillneverunderstand
For the HOME
- White Barn Japanese Cherry Blossom Room Freshener: I have used this room freshener since my senior year in college. This was another gift from my mom and I was immediately obsessed. It has a nice light, floral, fresh smell that is perfect for the spring and summertime. I used to use it every day during those seasons but now it’s a special-occasion type spray so I don’t run out as quickly. (Does anyone else hoard/save their favorite products for fear of not being able to replace them like me?)
- DW Home White Sandalwood Candle: This candle was a going-away gift from a friend in Indy and it has been such a comfort here in Cville! Feels like a little piece of home every time I light it ❤ It is also the PERFECT scent for summertime. Don’t get me wrong, I am all about that pumpkin spice/apple cider coziness when it comes to fall candles, but this one has a real beachy feel to it and it puts me in a zen state of mind whenever we burn it.
- Capri Blue Volcano Candle: A classic. If you haven’t ever bought a capri blue candle, do yourself a favor and get one now. I love this candle so much that whenever it runs low, we buy another one. In other words…this is a year-round staple in our house.
For the WORLD/*BONUS*
- Mimosa Trees: That amazing smell you catch a whiff of this time of year? Yeah…it’s MIMOSA TREES. I finally identified what this scent was this year after smelling it in Bloomington, Indy, and beyond. My mom finally helped me figure out where it was coming from after a hike one day and I am in love. It’s especially great because the mimosa blooming season seems to last longer/later into the summer here, so I’m still enjoying this even though it’s middle of July 🙂
So there you have it! My favorite scents. Now that Nathan knows me better, he indulges my need for smell-good things. But I think if I asked him his favorite scent today, he’d still say “banana bread.”